About Me...

I am currently a student at the University of South Alabama and plan on graduating in May 2011. I chose elementary education because I have always wanted to be a teacher. I have high expectations for students and know that I can help make a difference in their lives. I hope to create an environment in my future class that lets children be creative and open to new learning experiences.

My Teaching Philosophy

I believe it is my job to make learning relevant to the student. By doing this I will be able to help the student reach their full potential. I believe I can do that through educating, motivating, and inspiring.

I want to have an open and friendly environment in the classroom, where the students are free to share stories/experiences, ask questions, and gain knowledge. I will make my expectations for them clear and I will be consistent with my procedures. I believe that all students are fully capable of learning; however, I know that everyone learns differently. For this reason, I will use a variety of teaching methods. I believe that this will support my goal of active learning in the classroom.

I believe that students who are engaged in their education will be more likely to retain the information given to them. I believe that motivation does not come solely from the teacher though. I think that it also comes from the parents. It is beneficial to me as well as the student to have the parents involved. It is a great way for the parents to take an active role in their child’s education. If we believe in them then they will believe in themselves.

I have learned that a teacher is a role model. I have the ability to influence these students and I will take that responsibility seriously. By showing that I am willing to listen and learn along with them will help them realize that learning continues throughout life. This will create an authentic learning environment. They will have the opportunity to learn not just through me, but with other resources as well. I will show that if I do not have the answer, we can find it together.

I believe that by doing all these things, I can help bring out the best in each student. Through continued education, motivation, and inspiration the student will be able to reach their full potential.